The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

link| link| link
MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community » The World of Information » Science & Technology » Medicine » The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~
Medicine Share information about medicines

Advertisement
Post New Thread  Reply

(#1)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

My Photos: ()
Default The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:38 AM

Caffeine Crystal

ANNIE CAVANAGH AND DAVID MCCARTHY

This false-color scanning electron micrograph shows caffeine crystals. In plants, caffeine functions as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills some insects.

The main crystals were 400-500 microns long; however, this crystal group formed on the end of the larger crystal and measures around 40 microns in length. The judges selected this image because it's such an unfamiliar perspective: “It's a bright, intricate image of something that most of us experience every day."

I'm standing on the edge of me.
Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
(#2)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:41 AM

Arabidopsis Thaliana Seedling

FERNAN FEDERICI AND JIM HASELOFF

This confocal micrograph shows the tissue structures within the leaf of an Arabidopsis thaliana seedling, the model organism in plant genetics. The sample was fixed and stained with propidium iodide, which labels DNA, but was imaged four years later.

Over time, oxidation of the stain in different parts of the tissue provides different fluorescent properties, which researchers are using to study plant cellular architecture and gene activity.

(#3)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:43 AM

Frog Eggs

VINCENT PASQUE, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

... Xenopus laevis oocytes, to be exact. Otherwise known as the African clawed frog, this is another model organism used in developmental biology research.

Each oocyte is surrounded by thousands of follicle cells, shown by staining DNA blue. Blood vessels, which provide oxygen to the oocyte and follicle cells, are shown in red.

(#4)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:45 AM

Radioactive Symbol

ANNE WESTON, LONDON RESEARCH INSTITUTE, CANCER RESEARCH UK

This diatom frustule is a type of phytoplankton. The organisms are encased inside hard cell walls, and come in a variety of shapes, pores and ridges. These features are used to determine their genera and species.

This diatom is 80 microns in diameter and just happens to look a lot like the universal symbol for radioactivity.

(#5)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:48 AM

Beautiful Biofilm

FERNAN FEDERICI, TIM RUDGE, PJ STEINER AND JIM HASELOFF

This confocal micrograph shows Bacillus subtilis, a large rod-shaped bacteria commonly found in soil. This is a biofilm showing distinct lineages of the microbe, which were stained with different fluorescent proteins and then mixed randomly on a petri dish. As they grow, they organize into reproducible patterns and shapes that can be predicted with mathematical models.

(#6)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 03:53 AM

Moth Fly

KEVIN MACKENZIE, UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN

This false-color scanning electron micrograph shows a moth fly, Psychodidae, also known as a drain fly. The larvae live in domestic drains and emerge in sinks.

Their bodies and wings are covered in fine cilia, which lend them a moth-like appearance.

(#7)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Most Amazing Medical Images of 2012 ~ - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-25-2012, 04:15 AM

Brain Surgery

ROBERT LUDLOW, UCL INSTITUTE OF NEUROLOGY, LONDON

This photograph shows the cortex of a human brain belonging to an epileptic patient. It was taken before an intracranial electrode procedure to treat the patient's epilepsy. After removal of several brain sections, this patient made a full recovery and no longer suffers from seizures.

Judges chose it as the overall winner because of its detail. From judge Alice Robert explains: "The 'gray' matter (which is gray in death) is blushing pink. Small arteries are glowing with the scarlet blood pulsing through them, while purple veins lie thickly in the sulci, the crevices of the brain. And underneath that is somebody's mind."

Post New Thread  Reply