Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

link| link| link
MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community » Baat Cheet -----Chat-Room(USERS) » Cooking Section » Chickpea curry, Pakistani style
Cooking Section !!! Cooking tips and cooking recepies !!!

Advertisement

Post New Thread  Reply

(#1)
Old

My Photos: ()
Star Sign:
love it Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-06-2012, 08:04 AM

This is a very simple and quick one to prepare.

Chickpea is of the lentil or legume family. It's loaded with nutrition. It's important properties include vegetable protein, iron, zinc and Vitamin B. Last but not least, it's a very high fiber food, full of soluble fibers. Being low in fat, it can also lower the cholesterol in the body. Chickpea is one of those items which is popular in almost all communities. It's used in plenty of Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern dishes. In Pakistan, chickpea curry with fried flatbread (or puri) is a traditional holiday breakfast food. If you are using canned chickpeas which are pre-boiled, chickpea curry can be a very quick-fix dish to prepare and relished for lunch or dinner as well.

Here's how it looks when cooked. The recipe is right there for you, don't miss it

We will be using canned chickpeas here. If you prefer the unboiled ones in packets, that's fine too. But boiling takes a while. You will need to boil it for about one hour with a pinch of baking soda otherwise it will take longer. Thus, it's advisable to boil it a day earlier and store it in the fridge to be used for cooking the following day.

Ingredients

2 cans of chickpeas, drained
2 small onions chopped
4 tomatoes chopped very finely, preferably crushed
Half teaspoon chilli powder
Half teaspoon paprika
Pinch of all spice (or garam masala as called in Urdu)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
Half teaspoon cumin seeds
Half teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cooking oil
chopped fresh coriander leaves
Half teaspoon crushed ginger & garlic paste

This set of seasoning is my personal choice. You are welcomed to make your own variations according to your taste and that of your family.

Preparation

Fry the chopped onions in oil until light golden brown. Add cumin seeds and garlic & ginger paste and stir for a few minutes. Then, add chilli, paprika, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Stir for a couple of minutes. Keep adjusting the temperature of the cooker to make sure the heat is not too high to protect the spices from getting burned. Add the finely chopped or crushed tomatoes and keep stirring on medium-low heat until the oil begins to show a little. Now add the drained chickpeas into this mixture until well coated all over with the spices. Add water to make enough gravy, about 2 or 3 tea cups, or as per your personal taste. Cover and leave the chickpeas to cook for 20 minutes or until the gravy turns a little thick. When done, garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves, and sprinkle pinch of all spice over the dish. That's it. You're done!

To make it more fancy, you can also add diced and peeled potatoes with the chickpeas while adding water.

It can be eaten with fried flatbread (puri), parata flatbread, sliced wholewheat or white bread, fried rice or plain boiled rice. The choice is yours Smiley

Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
(#2)
Old

Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Nice n easy

(#3)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-06-2012, 08:25 AM

thanks honey

(#4)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-07-2012, 08:32 PM

V Niceeee

(#5)
Old

Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-08-2012, 12:35 AM

I m going to try it out right now!
wish me luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]❤
(#6)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   06-11-2012, 07:20 AM

thanks

(#7)
Old

Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   07-08-2012, 07:39 PM

yum yum thanks for sharing this nice and easy recipe

(#8)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   07-09-2012, 07:39 PM

thanks

(#9)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   07-09-2012, 07:49 PM

Wow easy dish..

Thanks fo Sharing..

[center]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(#10)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Chickpea curry, Pakistani style - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   07-09-2012, 08:01 PM

thanks

Post New Thread  Reply