The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

link| link| link
MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community » The World of Information » Science & Technology » Automotive » The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine
Automotive Share automotive , cars, bike and other stuffs here

Advertisement
Post New Thread  Reply

(#1)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

My Photos: ()
Default The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   10-10-2011, 06:05 AM

The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine
By Logan Ward

The idea of a two-stroke internal combustion engine for cars has been around for years—but until now, no one’s been able to overcome its engineering obstacles. Peter Hofbauer of Ecomotors earns a 2011 PM Breakthrough Award for a design that’s actually better and more fuel-efficient than the ubiquitous four-stroke engine.

Relatively simple and lightweight, two-stroke engines (found in chain saws and outboard motors) would be great in cars and trucks, if they weren't so dirty. "I probably spent $50 million of GM's money proving two-strokes don't work in automobiles," says General Motors veteran Don Runkle. The Opposed-Piston, Opposed-Cylinder (OPOC) engine developed by EcoMotors' Peter Hofbauer changed Runkle's mind so thoroughly that he became the company's CEO.

As in other flat engines (sometimes called boxer engines for the way their pistons resemble two fighters trading jabs), OPOC's pistons move horizontally. Hofbauer's aha! moment came one day when the former Volkswagen engineer was pondering the shortcomings of VW's boxer engine. "I thought, my God, if you just replace the cylinder head with a moving piston and cylinder ports, it might be less complicated."

It is—by a long shot. The engine requires less than half the parts of a similar four-stroke engine and is 30 percent lighter. The net result, says Hofbauer, is a 15 to 50 percent increase in energy efficiency, depending on the configuration. And thanks to its unique architecture and several key innovations, the OPOC releases far fewer emissions than a typical two-stroke. With a 240-hp diesel prototype, EcoMotors is focused now on the truck market; last February the company signed a licensing agreement with Navistar. "When the economy has recovered, the world will add 85 million combustion engines for cars and light trucks," Hofbauer says. "If we can offer an engine that is efficient and competitive in production costs, it will be a success."

TURBOCHARGER

An electric motor mounted to the blower's shaft quickly spools the compressor for a fast boost; in reverse, it generates electricity off the exhaust flow. Plus, it manages exhaust pressure to minimize emissions.

STEEL CONNECTING RODS

Long steel connecting rods join the outer pistons to the crankshaft. With two pistons working off one combustion event, the engine behaves as though it has a long stroke—utilizing more of the available energy and increasing efficiency. Yet the crankshaft remains compact and therefore lighter.

CRANKSHAFT

The engine is modular, and the crankshaft of the cylinder pairs can be connected by a clutch. For highway cruising, unneeded cylinders can simply be idled and then engaged again for passing.

CYLINDER

Gases flow in and out of the cylinder via ports in the walls, saving the complexity and weight of cylinder heads. The design of the intake and exhaust systems and combustion chamber keeps excess unburned fuel from exiting the exhaust port, reducing emissions.

I'm standing on the edge of me.
Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
(#2)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   10-10-2011, 07:53 PM

i thought 4 stroke engine work much better than this ?

ALLAH FARMATA HAI :
AEY BANDEY JO HUA
WO ACHA HUA .
JO HORAHA HAI ACHA HO RAHA HAI.
JO HOGA WO BHI ACHA HOGA.
TERA KIYA GAIYA JO TU ROTA HAI
TU KIA LAYA JO TU NE KHO DIYA.
JO LIYA YAHIN (DUNYA) SEI LIYA
JO DIYA YAHIN (DUNYA) PE DIYA
JO AAJ TERA HAI PEHLAY KISI AUR KA THA
AUR KAL KISI AUR KA HOGA.
TABDEELI KAINAAT KA MAMOOL HAI
BAS TU WO JAMA KAR JO TU SATH LEI KAR JANEY WALA HAI
YANI NAIK AMAAL.

(#3)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   10-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Ahan This One Is Cool!

bE driveN wiTh puRpOse, Be r313n71355 in your alιgnмenт;
with excellence.
pAy n0 mInd to the ∂ιsιмραssισηε∂ เ๓ק๏tєภt ђคtєгร

.. нoolιgan
(#4)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   10-11-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYAZ View Post
i thought 4 stroke engine work much better than this ?
I would say it depends on the application...Both have pros and cons...But the point being for this article...Engineers are always trying to come up with other alternatives than what we already have

(#5)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: The Lighter, Better, More Efficient Two-Stroke Engine - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   10-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morash View Post
Ahan This One Is Cool!
Thanks...No questions?

Post New Thread  Reply