Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

link| link| link
MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community » The World of Information » Science & Technology » Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out
Science & Technology Share science and technology stuffs here

Advertisement
Post New Thread  Reply

(#1)
Old

My Photos: ()
Star Sign:
pix320 Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out

While IFA 2012 may be thought of primarily as a venue for electronics manufacturers to unveil their latest products, it’s also a chance for them to showcase technologies that they’re still developing. An example of the latter is the prototype eye-controlled TV, created by Chinese electronics firm Haier. We had a chance to try it for ourselves, on the trade show floor in Berlin.

While the TV itself is made by Haier, its eye-tracking technology was developed by Tobii – the same company that has brought us an eye-controlled laptop, a mousing system, and even an Asteroids arcade game.

The TV’s eye-tracking system needs to be calibrated for each user, before they can use it. This involves visually tracking an orange dot as it moves around the screen, without moving your head. According to Gizmag’s James Holloway, who served as our guinea pig, this is a lot harder than it might sound.

As the user follows the dot, a sensor bar facing them tracks their eye movements. Once the system is calibrated, that user can then use their eyes to control the TV – they simply look at control icons in one corner of the screen, and blink to select between them. Again, as with the calibration process, they have to keep their head still while doing so.

James found the volume adjustment particularly tricky, as it involves looking at specific buttons for “volume up” and “volume down.” Having already activated the television’s “Volume Control Mode,” he wondered why the user couldn’t then simply look left or right to bring the volume up or down.

Perhaps that might be addressed in subsequent incarnations of the system, as it is still very much in the prototype stage. In a future version of the system, Haier reportedly plans on integrating the eye-tracking sensor directly into the TV.

Although the technology is challenging to use at this point, James tells us that is definitely does work, which is an impressive feat in and of itself.

დ∫დ→◄●♥●►↔ǺήĐằŽ~◊Ệ◊~ßάΫǻЙ↔◄●♥●►←დ∫დ

Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
(#2)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Nice sharing jigar

(#3)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks

(#4)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiGaR View Post
Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out

While IFA 2012 may be thought of primarily as a venue for electronics manufacturers to unveil their latest products, it’s also a chance for them to showcase technologies that they’re still developing. An example of the latter is the prototype eye-controlled TV, created by Chinese electronics firm Haier. We had a chance to try it for ourselves, on the trade show floor in Berlin.

While the TV itself is made by Haier, its eye-tracking technology was developed by Tobii – the same company that has brought us an eye-controlled laptop, a mousing system, and even an Asteroids arcade game.

The TV’s eye-tracking system needs to be calibrated for each user, before they can use it. This involves visually tracking an orange dot as it moves around the screen, without moving your head. According to Gizmag’s James Holloway, who served as our guinea pig, this is a lot harder than it might sound.

As the user follows the dot, a sensor bar facing them tracks their eye movements. Once the system is calibrated, that user can then use their eyes to control the TV – they simply look at control icons in one corner of the screen, and blink to select between them. Again, as with the calibration process, they have to keep their head still while doing so.

James found the volume adjustment particularly tricky, as it involves looking at specific buttons for “volume up” and “volume down.” Having already activated the television’s “Volume Control Mode,” he wondered why the user couldn’t then simply look left or right to bring the volume up or down.

Perhaps that might be addressed in subsequent incarnations of the system, as it is still very much in the prototype stage. In a future version of the system, Haier reportedly plans on integrating the eye-tracking sensor directly into the TV.

Although the technology is challenging to use at this point, James tells us that is definitely does work, which is an impressive feat in and of itself.
Tech. is good...but jiss tarekay saay yahan use hoo rahii haay...I don't think it's a good idea...We barely move as is...We sit around all day...abb remote pakernay kay liyay bii nahin hilan chulan hoo...just sit there apni ankhoon saay control keroo saab kuch? That's making life tooooooooooooo comfortable...Tech has it's ups and downs...and I think iss kii down side would be hamain lazyyyyyyyyyyyy banana...lol

I'm standing on the edge of me.
(#5)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXquisite Inception View Post
Tech. is good...but jiss tarekay saay yahan use hoo rahii haay...I don't think it's a good idea...We barely move as is...We sit around all day...abb remote pakernay kay liyay bii nahin hilan chulan hoo...just sit there apni ankhoon saay control keroo saab kuch? That's making life tooooooooooooo comfortable...Tech has it's ups and downs...and I think iss kii down side would be hamain lazyyyyyyyyyyyy banana...lol
Thanks... Technology Agar Ap Ko Comfort Day Rahi Hai To Le Lo...Agar Ap khana Kha Rahe Hon To Khana Khao Gay Ya Remote Pakro Gay In this situation its Goood lol

(#6)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks... Technology Agar Ap Ko Comfort Day Rahi Hai To Le Lo...Agar Ap khana Kha Rahe Hon To Khana Khao Gay Ya Remote Pakro Gay In this situation its Goood lol
Lazyyyyyyyy loag...lol

(#7)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Lazyyyyyyyy loag...lol
Nahi MasroooOf LooooOOOf Busy In Different Working lolllllllllll

(#8)
Old
Caught In The Riptide ~

Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Nahi MasroooOf LooooOOOf Busy In Different Working lolllllllllll
Acha? Phir theek haay...lol

(#9)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Haier demos eye-controlled TV prototype – we try it out - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   09-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Acha? Phir theek haay...lol

Post New Thread  Reply