Yellow Daal, - MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community

link| link| link
MeraForum Community.No 1 Pakistani Forum Community » Baat Cheet -----Chat-Room(USERS) » Cooking Section » Share Your Own Cook Recipies » Yellow Daal,
Share Your Own Cook Recipies !! Share Your Own Recipies !!

Advertisement

Post New Thread  Reply

(#1)
Old
Banned

My Photos: ()
Star Sign:
Heart Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Yellow Daal

This dish is really tasty - and it's a lot easier than you think. Get the following ingredients together:

* 2 cap fulls of yellow daal lentils (Moong Daal)
* 1 or 2 onions - finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons salt.
* 1.5 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
* 2 teaspoons garam masala
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
* Chunks of garlic, ginger and chillie
* Half tin of peeled chopped tomatoes
* A generous knob - of butter!
* Some freshly chopped (or frozen chopped) coriander
Moong Dal is the small-grain yellow split lentils that you can get in pretty much any Asian/Indian shop -and sometimes also at your local supermarket - e.g. Asda, Safeway etc. For this recipe - you need a couple of cap-fulls of the above style jar. I know I'm not being precise - but that is what Indian cooking is all about! Let's just say that the amount of daal you need is about three or four handfulls. Be careful - because by handful I don't mean "cupped" handful - I mean as much as you can pick with one hand - which, trust me, isn't a lot - as these daal grains are quite small and will fall out of your hand just like sand does. Imagine it to be like rice - you only need a little to make quite a lot. I usually make enough to serve two or three people for today - and enough for two people in terms of leftovers for tomorrow. Make sure you wash the daal thoroughly - removing any loose husks or stones/dirt etc.
Put the washed lentils into a large stove-top pot and add enough water to cover the daal about half an index finger in depth. You don't need to worry about adding too much water - as it will simmer and evaporate away anyway - and you will almost certainly need to add more water later on. The rest of the ingredients are fairly self-explanatory by now - especially if you have been following these recipes:

And here is why this recipe is so easy. Just throw in all the rest of the ingredients except the butter. Make sure that the onions are finely chopped. Stir it all up and put on high flame and bring to the boil. Then turn down the flame (put the lid half-on) and keep the mixture simmering somewhat aggressively. You need to let it simmer for around 1.5 hours - stirring every 15 minutes or so - and adding more water if necessary. It will be necessary - as the mixture will lose a lot of water in the first 45 mins. So don't be afraid to add more water - you can always simmer off the water until you get the right thickness later on. Basically - you want to ensure that the daal gets to a thick-ish sort of consistency - and is to your liking. (I like mine to be a bit like the consitency around about just like the potato and leek Covent Garden soup.) In the first 45 mintes - the mixture will froth a little - don't be put off by this - just stir it all up and keep it simmering - as I said - somewhat agressively.
After about an hour and a half it will be done! Taste it in order to see if any more salt or chillie powder needs adding - and make sure that the lentils are soft and tender - and breaking up in a mushy fashion - not hard! Be sure at this point to add a big dollop of butter. Melt it into the mixture - and stir it all about. This will thicken it and make the texture absolutely heavenly! Simmer it like this for about 15 more minutes - it will bubble in a gloopy style - and there should be no more "froth". Don't worry about overdoing it - it's better to overcook it than not. When it has acheived your preferred consistency - turn off the flame and sprinkle on a generous handful of freshly chopped coriander leaf and stir it in. Let it rest with the lid on for 5 minutes and it's ready to serve!

Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
(#2)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Wahh! Kya Baat Haii Apkii ..

(#3)
Old
Banned

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Thank you jee lol,

(#4)
Old
... Deserve Only The Best

Star Sign:
Location: ★ Down In The Hell, Up In Da Sky, In Everyone's Heart But Still Invisible ! ★
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 04:56 PM

wowwwwwww
Hum seriously bohat Miss kar rahay thayy Abe sis ki cookin ko =P
SIS zaberadstttttttttttttttttt HUGSSS

(#5)
Old
Banned

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEEN OF HEARTS ... View Post
wowwwwwww
Hum seriously bohat Miss kar rahay thayy Abe sis ki cookin ko =P
SIS zaberadstttttttttttttttttt HUGSSS
awwww dats so sweet of you thank you so much,
aa gai mai ab dekhna meri cooking ki sharing,

(#6)
Old

Star Sign:
Location: ★ Down In The Hell, Up In Da Sky, In Everyone's Heart But Still Invisible ! ★
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 05:05 PM

Jee Jeee Sistzz Zaroor =P
Aap share kartay jayein hamaray mazay hotay jayein gayey (shy)
but its very nice to c u back in action =P

(#7)
Old
Banned

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEEN OF HEARTS ... View Post
Jee Jeee Sistzz Zaroor =P
Aap share kartay jayein hamaray mazay hotay jayein gayey (shy)
but its very nice to c u back in action =P
Thank you so much darling
lekin ap be share karo mai ne dekha hai ap ko be kafi shok hai cooking ka,

(#8)
Old

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Chalain theek hai mein b Share karoon geee (shy) hehe

(#9)
Old
Banned

Star Sign:
Default Re: Yellow Daal, - >>   Show Printable Version  Show Printable Version   Email this Page  Email this Page   03-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Jaldi karna...,,,,,,,,,,,

Post New Thread  Reply